* Page Loading - Please Wait *
View other venues in Derbyshire
View other venues in Bakewell, Derbyshire
This Event is currently unclaimed. We strongly advise contacting the event organisers to check details before traveling.
If you are the person responsible for this event please claim control by Clicking Here
About Ashford in the Water Well Dressing
Venue Type: Well Dressing
Six well dressings in a charming setting.
Locations are as follows...
Top Pump Well
- Near the car park entrance, in the centre of Buxton Road at its junction with Fennel Street
- On the footpath that links Buxton Road a few metres east of the first well, with Fennel Street next to a shop
- At the corner of Church Street near Sheepwash Bridge
Church Street Well
- Further along Church Street, set into a wall on the south side of the road
Greaves Lane Well
- On the east side of Greaves Lane (the road leading to Monsal Head), a short distance from its junction with Church Street
- Further up Greaves Lane, opposite the junction with Hill Cross
The six village wells are dressed annually and are erected the day before Trinity Sunday. They remain in place for the following week.
The blessing of the water supply, in the form of a well is an ancient ceremony dating back to the Celts or even earlier.
It is only found in or near Derbyshire.
Well Dressing is the art of decorating springs or wells with pictures made of natural products.
Clay is pressed into boards, then the picture is traced onto the clay using a pointer. Then comes the delicate task of infilling with flower petals and other natural materials.
Each petal has to be put in separately and they overlap like tiles on a roof so that rain will flow off the picture. This process takes many hours and usually occupies most of the week prior to the well being dressed.Last happened on Sat 15th of June 2019 - Sun 23rd of June 2019
Please note. This map is based on the postcode and only shows the approximate location
Sorry, We have no details about this venue serving food We don't currently have any future gigs listed at Ashford in the Water Well Dressing.
Why not the venue on BandfinderUK to get updates?
Click the button for more details