* Page Loading - Please Wait *
View other acts in Cornwall
This Act is currently unclaimed. If you are responsible for the act please claim control by Clicking Here
The earliest reference to a band in Truro, so far, is 1853 when a Truro saxhorn band gave a concert in the assembly rooms in Highcross.
In 1924 bandmaster Tom Hubbard entered a Truro Band at Crystal Palace. They came away with a prize in the B Cup section the first Cornish band to win a prize at this contest.
In the early 1930s the bandmaster was George Cave a well known cornet player, adjudicator and arranger of brass band music. During this period the band attended many contests & were very successful.
During the 1939-1945 war players from the band played as a Home Guard and a Territorial Band.
In the 1950s A. W. Parker was MD followed by A. Teasdale cornet player of the famous St. Hilda Colliery Band, continuing to do well contesting & performing. This band folded in the 1960s for reasons not known.
In 1975 Rex Little soprano player of the old band, who had a small band at Gwennap, asked the City Council if they had some rehearsal rooms. The Cemetery Chapel was offered for the life of the band if they become the City of Truro Band, which happened. After Rex died Brian Stansmore took the baton until his health failed and he retired.
Roger Polmear a well known percussionist and ex Military Musician, took charge, & under his guidance the band continued to take part in all brass band activities.
Following Roger six other MDs covered until 2017 when Malcolm Burley took the baton.
So for many years, from an early Pipe & Drum Band on to Brass, making music in Truro is an important part of the history of the City.
We don't currently have any future gigs listed for Truro City Band.
Why not them on BandfinderUK to get updates?
Click the button for more details
No tracks added yet