* Page Loading - Please Wait *
This Gig is in the past, if you were there leave a review below
Sorry, This Gig has been Cancelled
Faversham Mission Brass is a non-contesting brass band based in the lovely market town of Faversham. Over the years, the band has become more and more a town band than a church band, although the band is still connected to Faversham Gospel Mission and plays at its services about three times a year particularly Easter, Harvest and Christmas. The band plays regularly in the town for concerts and community events, as well as on the district's bandstands and for many charity organisations to assist with their fund-raising activities.
A potted history of the Band is as follows:
A handful of musicians got together as a Christian Witness to the town of Faversham. These musicians became the founding members of Faversham Gospel Mission based in Tanners Street, the building being erected during 1888.
An early instrument problem can be noted as in the Band Minutes of that year it states that the Bandmaster was asked to teach young men music, but without instruments!
The Band took part in many parades and an Easter Sunday march was arranged for 6.30 a.m.
A Mrs. Russell was collecting money for new instruments. Some of the old instruments were sold for 4/6d and a new model instrument was purchased for £2!
It is noted that learners paid 3d a week for training until 10/- was paid and that the Town Crier did the Band advertising.
This was the earliest year mentioned that the Band played in the town carnival.
The Band started giving concerts, one of which was for soldiers in the war held in the Weslyan Chapel and another in the Queen's Hall.
It is noted that the Band be allowed to play for charity but not for political parades.
Earliest mention of the Band taking part in contests.
The Band purchased the instruments of the disbanded 'Powder Cotton Works Band' at £15 for the lot!
The popular Bandstand services held in the Recreation Ground were discontinued owing to the national crisis but were re-commenced in 1951.
Women admitted to the Band for the first time!
The Band entered the 4th Section Contest at Tunbridge Wells and won first prize gaining 155 out of a possible 200 points.
The Band, under its bandmaster, Mr. G. Seggery, won the Wilmshurst Challenge Cup and a prize of £10 in the Royal Tunbridge Wells Band Federation's annual contest.
After months of fund-raising, the Band was able to purchase a new set of instruments. The instruments were presented at a concert in the Alexander Centre by Mayor of Faversham, Brian Wise, and Dennis Motley, chairman of the Band's fund-raising committee. A certificate of thanks was also presented to Gwyn Williams, conductor, for his services to the Band and for his help with the fund-raising efforts.
The Band made its first (and so far only) LP!
The band took part in an eight hour sponsored blow-in to raise money for their own funds and the Gospel Mission lease fund.
The Band purchased a new set of uniforms. These were in use until 2006.
The Band purchased a set of polo shirts with its logo as an alternative to the more formal uniform.
The Band purchased a new set of uniforms which were unveiled at the first concert of the season. A special mention goes to Slater Menswear for its excellent value and service.
The Band finally replaced the music stand banners that had been used since the 1970s.
A set of quality fleeces was purchased for outside engagements during the winter months complete with logo and back embroidery.
Built in 1895, and refurbished in 2006, the Leas Bandstand stands opposite the Clifton Gardens and next to the Leas Cliff Hall.
There isn't a car park, but, street parking is available nearby.
Sorry, This Gig has been Cancelled
Free Admission with a voluntary collectionWhilst every effort goes into ensuring this gig listing is accurate and up to date, always check with the venue before you travel.
Nobody has left a review for this gig yet - Why not be the first?
If you would like to review this gig please either Register or Login In first